What Mr. Costello Is Reading Right Now: Intro

Hi MTW Readers!

In all of my classes I curate Google Classroom spaces as a way to pose questions, post assignments, and point out details of our main texts and our world.  I will regularly share articles from my own reading that I feel are relevant to my students in our joint quest to become more educated citizens.  In my Google Classroom spaces I will use the tag "What I'm Reading Right Now." I'll take a snippet from the article to copy and paste as a preview, and attach a link to the article on the post.

I really enjoy when students notice the pieces that I post and I've had some of the best, and most fruitful conversations about What I'm Reading Right Now even though the content is usually outside of the specific demands of the curriculum.

A lot of What I'm Reading Right Now (WIRRN) is centered around social justice topics, with the occasional ultimate frisbee article, just for flavor.  I'm excited to share WIRRN with MTW!

--C


Emily Nash, shown on Aug. 8 after winning the Massachusetts Golf Association's WGAM Junior Amateur Championship. This month, in an unrelated high school tournament, Nash was denied a trophy despite her winning score.
Courtesy of the Massachusetts Golf Association
(From October 27, 2017)

Winner Of High School Golf Tournament Denied Trophy, Because She's A Girl

David S. Cohen, a law professor at Drexel University, says the rule raises Title IX concerns. The law does does allow contact or skill-based sports to be separated by gender, he says — so MIAA could have kept girls out of the boys' tournament completely.
"But ... once they say, 'We're going to let girls participate,' they're required by Title IX to treat them equally," he says. "And denying someone the trophy and the championship is far from treating them equally."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Mr. Costello Is Reading Right Now: Jaylen Brown

What Mr. Costello Is Reading Right Now: Wyatt Walker

The Responsibility of Privilege