What Mr. Costello Is Reading Right Now: Hadiya Roderique

Hi MTW!

This is a fantastic personal essay about a black woman's struggle for success and belonging.  Hadiya is Canadian and a fellow ultimate player.  I can't resist sharing this one!

--C



Hadiya Roderique is a lawyer who left private practice five years ago. She is now working on her PhD at the University of Toronto. Looking back at her Bay Street career, she says she misses some things about the legal world, but ‘I don’t miss the isolation and the nagging sense that other people didn’t feel I belonged.’


Photography by Luis Mora

Black on Bay Street: Hadiya Roderique had it all. But still could not fit in

My parents moved to Canada to offer me the promise of the North American dream. But on my way to becoming a lawyer, I learned that success isn't necessarily about merit. It's also about fitting in. As a person of colour, that's a roadblock that comes up again and again.
"Later, a fellow law student, a white woman, asked me if I was going to wear my natural hair to interviews. I hadn't thought of that. I'd worn it naturally since I started university. But how black is black enough, and how black is too much? Should I straighten my hair, which I hadn't done in seven years? I didn't want to work for a firm that wouldn't want me as I am. But I knew this principle might come at a cost. After all, I'd never met a black lawyer with natural hair."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Mr. Costello Is Reading Right Now: Jaylen Brown

What Mr. Costello Is Reading Right Now: Wyatt Walker

The Responsibility of Privilege