A Humble Play

Mateo Rull 12th grade
Social Justice Magazine Club
Frontier Regional School
9/28/2017


A Humble Play
Narrator: Tuesday morning. The rain outside muffles the sound of the two students speaking on the incandescent black box. You could turn the volume up more, but it would not improve the acuity of perception for the drowsy students; some of them are out of their assigned seats; all of them overstate how tired they are.
Miss Tina: Alright everyone news is over, get to your seats please!
Maria: Ms. Tina when was the assignment on Imperialism due?
Miss Tina: I’m really glad you asked Maria… Listen everyone! The assignment is due today but don’t worry, I will give you time in class as we are gonna review that chapter today. Hold tight to your seats while I turn the projector on please!
Tina: Okay people, today we will be discussing the impact of the Imperialist movement in the United States… Who can tell me what Imperialism means? …
*Patrick raises hand*
Miss Tina: Yes Pat?
David ignores Pat's hand and Ms. Tina's remark, and decides to speak instead
David: Isn't that when like a country that's like powerful starts expanding in like less powerful countries?
Tina: Yes... More or less correct. You people also gotta remember that imperialism was influenced by the Social Darwinism movement in America. It also infused the idea of spreading Christianity and “democracy” to less powerful nations as an excuse for white superiority and their influence on these countries.
Lance: Are you talking about colonies Ms. Tina?
Tina: Indeed! During this period, the race for expansionism drove aaaall these world powers to establish a heck ton of colonies in Africa, China and other territories all over the world. Let’s see… Who can tell me an example of the United States role in this race for expansionism?
Parson: Wasn’t Puerto Rico one of them?
Tina: Well yes, Parson you are correct. At the end of the 19th century, the US took a particular interest in all these Central American regions that would provide new market and territories expanding their influence in the world… one of the targets was indeed Puerto Rico and their Independence Movement, which the US provided with military support to gain independence from the Spanish Empire in 1898. Ironically, the Independence Movement is still active today, because even though Puerto Ricans are US citizens by law, it is not part of the 50 united states and furthermore the Independence movement is still advocating against this, seeking total independence...
David: *interrupts teacher* But Miss Tina, why would they do that like at all?
Tina: What do you mean David?
David: Like obviously we gave them citizenship so now they’re part of the US and that has its benefits I just don’t get why people would not agree with that…
Tina: Well, you have to consider that they were promised independence from Spain but instead the United States took over.. This ‘unwelcomed’ visit was showcased several other times … México, Cuba…
David: But like *under his breath: ‘oh my god haha* Miss Tina you don’t get what I’m saying! Like, what’s so bad about us taking over those third world countries if we are extending democracy and freedom?
Everyone in class starts clapping, 2 students of Latino descent in the front -one Puerto Rican, one whose parents emigrated from México- stay silent and look at each other and the teacher with clear discomfort on their faces.
Narrator: What could the teacher do? Obviously this obnoxious teen needs to be educated, but Miss Tina knows that she is not likely to regulate David’s flaming nationalism. She gives up and calmly continues the class after the clapping settles down.
*Curtain closes*


ACT II
Narrator: The bell rings as the waves of students overfill the hallways, all driven by the warm smell of pizza emanating from the cafeteria. Miguel, a Puerto Rican student born and raised in the US, and Roberto, a Mexican who recently immigrated to the US, sit in the same table as David and a couple other kids from their previous class.
David: Yo this lunch is disgusting. How can they manage to mess up something as simple as pizza?
Adriana: Oh my god I know right. It’s sooo bad. I’m literally not even going to eat it.
Miguel: Why did you buy it then Adriana?
Adriana: Oh no, I wouldn’t spend money on this don’t worry I get it for free!
David: Yo guys what was the deal with Miss Tina today anyway? She clearly has no idea what she's talking about. Did she even finish high school?
Adriana: I bet I could teach that class and do a better job. She literally NEVER grades our assignments EVER!
Nancy: OMG I know! I literally have an C- in that class though
Adriana: No way, me too!
*Adriana and Nancy hug hands and laugh with wide smiles on their faces*
David: No but really, that pissed me off when she was talking about the US like we’re the bad guys. Everyone just disrespects the country like that. *Looks over at Miguel* Honestly I bet Puerto Rico just wants to be part of the US.
Miguel: Well… actually my parents have opposite opinions about this David.
David: Huh?
Miguel: What I said... my father has always supported the Independence as his father and his grandfather did before him. They are a minority though.. I guess like you said most people just want Puerto Rico to be a state… just like my mom.
David: *looks at the rest of the people in lunch table* I told you guys!
Miguel: But I don’t think that’s because we want to be like the United States. I don’t know much about the history of it all, but honestly I don’t feel like my country was offered an option in the first place. The whites just did what they always have done, taking over things that they think they deserve.
David: No offense, but that’s not a fair statement Miguel, the US just wants to spread democ...
Roberto: Sorry to interrupt you David, but I just wanna say that even though I love this country, it lately seems that this country doesn’t love me. I open up my phone every day and see people calling my ethnicity rapists and criminals. I see my mom crying out of fear of deportation every now and then… especially when they air that the wall separating my country and the US is being built and prototypes have already started. It just makes me super pissed off to hear people like you saying that the US is always spreading ‘freedom and democracy’ or that immigrants should just go back to our countries when in reality you are also spreading fear and hatred.. Sometimes, similar to Puerto Rico, but in a different sense, we really don’t have a choice. In my case I’m lucky, and I know I am lucky because I had a choice to come to this country legally. But there is people out there who aren’t so lucky and do it out of necessity. I feel you don’t really see this David. We live in a world in which white is normal, and color is different. Y’all need to wake up from your privileged daydream…
Halfway through his speech and without Roberto realizing, the entire cafeteria had gone silent to hear what he had to say. After exactly 5 seconds, an unknown student begins clapping. Another follows suit; a wave starts until the entire room, including David, are clapping.


Narrator: A few days later Roberto is suspended for 2 days for the controversial argument in the cafeteria. The same day, his mom is stopped in a highway for speeding 2 miles over the limit, and gets thrown into jail for not having a state driver's license. After a few hours in her cell, 2 ICE officials process her for deportation. At the same time this happens, Miguel’s family in Puerto Rico are denied government relief after their home is completely destroyed in hurricane Irma. Miguel’s dad is forced to send them large amounts of money to survive and this results in Miguel dropping out of school and work full time to compensate. Two more days after this, David wins Western Mass as the captain of the football team and gets offered a scholarship to Princeton University.
 



Comments

  1. This play was incredibly well written. The whole atmosphere of this piece seems realistic to me. It shows the troubles that are happening by immigrants, as well as the blindness that most American citizens show about the immigrants. There are many problems that the immigrants are facing in and out of the US, and this play shows us the real issues that are brought about because of US influence.
    - Noah Babb

    ReplyDelete
  2. This play touches on a lot of controversial topics that need to be covered in classes nowadays but aren't. Well to be fair they are but not on the degree that they need to be covered. I feel as though the American people are actually seen as the bad guys in a lot of other countries yet like more than half of the country can only see us as the "Good guys" like we know what is right and this opinion is well shown in the form of David in the play. The US in short is filled with assholes who are arrogant and think only of themself and their own gain, the only ones who care about others are the ones who can't afford to care about others.

    ME

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many individuals do not understand what is actually going on in this country. Much of what is going on intertwines with certain times in our history. This play shows people that there is more than just the present, the actions that are seen today are not random but derive from our past. While I agree with the first two acts I do not fully agree with the end paragraph. While many of these situations have occurred, I believe the end is an exaggeration.
    -Leah Pion

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me this seems to be all to true. Based on what I know of in history and how this country works this seems to be exactly how things would actually play out. David played the roll of the privileged nationalistic U.S citizen who thinks and sees through the view of his own country instead of the other. While everyone else would tell him that things are different for other groups of people. Life seems to only happen to those around him while David gets through with the best they can offer him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Mr. Costello Is Reading Right Now: Jaylen Brown

What Mr. Costello Is Reading Right Now: Wyatt Walker

The Responsibility of Privilege